Choral Music by Herbert Howells
Choral Works and Part-Songs by Edward Elgar
Featuring well-known settings alongside some pieces recorded less frequently.
Artist: The Rodolfus Choir
Director: Ralph Allwood
Organ: Tim Winpenny
Label: Signum (Released: April 2010)
A true master and exponent of the British choral music tradition, Herbert Howells compositions & settings are brought to life in this collection of his secular & sacred works.
This disc promises to be a one of the choir's best to date, with well-known settings such as Howells' Collegium Regale setting of the Te Deum and Benedicite alongside some pieces recorded less frequently, including Walking in the Snow and Sweetest of Sweets.
1. The Summer is Coming
2. Sweetest of Sweets (Soloists: Emily Kirby-Ashmore and Simon Lee)
3. Sing Lullaby
4. One thing I have desired
5. A Spotless Rose (Soloist: Alex Jones)
7. Walking in the Snow
8. A Grace for 10 Downing Street (Soloist: Marcus Roberts)
9. Here is the little door
10. God be in my head
11. Long, long ago
12. Te Deum (Collegium Regale)
13. Jubilate (Collegium Regale)
14. Magnificat (Dallas Service) (Soloists: Dorothea Harris, Imogen Ogilvie and Margaret Walker)
15. Nunc Dimittis (Dallas Services) (Soloist: Fergus McIntosh)
16. Hymn to St Cecilia
these youthful singers… sing with the sensitivity and precision you would expect of the next generation of choral scholars. They give some lovely accounts in this interesting collection.
Stephen Pritchard, The Observer
This disc has quality stamped all over it.
Terry Blain, BBC Music Magazine
From the very opening of this disc – a mixture of sacred and secular choral works – the Rodolfus Choir, under the astute directorship of Ralph Allwood, capture Howells’s idiom perfectly, and their understanding of this music is reflected in the high quality of their performances.
Em Marshall, MusicWeb International